Discontented Turtle

Sleep deprived ramblings about life, current events, politics, travel, education, books, movies, and music.

Saturday, January 29, 2005

Bad, Bad Corporations

Typically if I see one of these lists of immoral corporations I would say you should avoid using their products, but as I read through this list I realized how difficult that would be. Three of America's major pharmacuetical companies are on the list. I take two different prescriptions daily and my wife is on several other prescriptions---what are we supposed to do, stop taking our meds? I don't think so. As a result of our nation's patent laws, the drug companies have us over a barrel. So what am I left with, calling them names?

Coca-Cola was one of the companies on the list this year also. I have to say I know they are a horrible corporation, but I do love their sweet tasty carbonated caffeine beverage. Trust me I try to stop drinking the stuff every few months. I'm in the middle of one of my Coke detoxing efforts right now (I'm down to about one 8 oz. can a day). Don't tell me to switch to Pepsi, because that stuff is revolting. And I especially don't want to hear from any of you coffee drinkers out there complaining about me drinking Coke----unless you want to get into a big discussion about the environmental effects of the coffee bean growing process and about the use of child labor in its harvesting (these are things that I've seen first hand with my own eyes, not that I've read in some book or on some blog).

What's my point? Sometimes like I feel like the corporations have already won. I don't know what to do other than complain or close my eyes and ignore everything.

AlterNet: The 10 Worst Corporations of 2004

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on Blogwise