Discontented Turtle

Sleep deprived ramblings about life, current events, politics, travel, education, books, movies, and music.

Monday, October 10, 2005

25 Most Influential Music Artists of the Last 25 Years

CMJ posted a pretty good list of bands for an old guy like me. I was a college radio DJ from 1986 to 1991 for KUMM. I kid you not about the radio station name, our unofficial slogan was "the only station that puts KUMM in your ear. Many of these bands on CMJ's list formed the core of my shows.

Reviewing CMJ's list I'm wondering why The Cure is missing. They were definitely one of the most influential college/alternative band of that time period. Other possible bands that should have been included are: Camper Van Beethoven, Jesus and Mary Chain, Love and Rockets, Stone Roses, B-52's, Bahaus, INXS, James, Psychadelic Furs, Liz Phair, Dinosaur Jr, Sebadoh, Lemonheads, or Yo La Tengo. Some of these are personal favorites, while others are just holes I see in the list. Who do you think is missing?

1 Comments:

At 12 October, 2005 02:02, Blogger turtle said...

I can see Ani DiFranco being on the list....but more because she of the way she has done the business side of things not so much for her music (I say that as a fan also). She has put in almost 15 years of time, so I think she's put in the time. The list did seem heavily tilted toward the 80's.

Also, the list was almost devoid of female musicians, her and Bikini Kill (and a few bands with female members). Other assorted female musicians that should have been considered: Indigo Girls, Melissa Etheridge, Hole, Suzanne Vega.

Two other missing band, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Depeche Mode (personally I can't stand them, but they probably should have been on the list).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on Blogwise