Discontented Turtle

Sleep deprived ramblings about life, current events, politics, travel, education, books, movies, and music.

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Independence Day Ambivalence

I'll admit it, I enjoy watching things blow up. I also enjoy hot dogs, potato salad, and beer. The Fourth of July should be my dream holiday, but it isn't. Like most holidays I get sucked in even though my better judgment tells me not to.

I headed downtown to watch the big fireworks celebration. Everything was fine and dandy, until I found myself in the middle of a throng of people shouting U.S.A. It made my stomach turn. After 5 years of Bush, I really don't know what is so great about this country that I want to shout its name out.

Check out this great editorial by Howard Zinn who discusses Independence Day and nationalism much more eloquently than I do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on Blogwise