Discontented Turtle

Sleep deprived ramblings about life, current events, politics, travel, education, books, movies, and music.

Saturday, July 09, 2005

Virtual Wanderlust

I've been using the Internet for over 10 years now, and it still manages to amaze me. What has captured my attention now? Google Earth! Google Earth is a satellite map of every place on earth wrapped around a virtual globe. It has absolute amazing control over visual perspective, including zooming, rotating, and tilting. With the amount of control that I have over what I am looking at it seems to be the closest thing to actually being there.

I have spent the last several days zooming around the world. Today, I took a trip up the Alaska Highway, climbed Mt. McKinley zipped down to Tierra Del Fuego at the southern tip of South America and then I explored the streets of Paris (reliving my backpacking trip their from 10 years ago). I saw the Eiffel Tower, the Pompidou Centre, and ran through the fountains of La Defense once again. Where will my wanderlust will bring me to tomorrow?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on Blogwise