Discontented Turtle

Sleep deprived ramblings about life, current events, politics, travel, education, books, movies, and music.

Sunday, July 25, 2004

The Breakfast Club

I broke my week of movies streak, and I can't even blame it on my wife. Friday night I just couldn't find a movie that I was willing to go see alone. There were a few girly movies that I would have gone to with my wife with me, but the idea of sitting through 13 going on 30 or some other similar film in a room full of adolescent girls seemed just a little too creepy to me. So the streak started...I justified it by saying that I would watch a film at home. I started watching Dickie Roberts: Former Child Actor but I ended up falling asleep part way through it.

Which brings me to Saturday night, the local cinema drafthouse-Studio35, has late night classic movies and this week's movie was, The Breakfast Club. I hadn't seen it on a big screen since I was in High School so I figured what the heck. I've watched the movie a million times on video, but a big screen would definitely be something different. The thing I noticed most was how big a part the music played in the movie---when I watch a video at home it seems as if the music usually gets washed away.

Was the movie good on its own, or was it good for nostalgia's sake? I think it was good on its own. It was still funny in all the right places. But I kept asking myself where would all these characters be at this place in time? Who would the outcasts be 20 years later? I'm guess Brian (the nerd) or Andrew (the jock)? Why is Brian the one who doesn't get to hook up at the end of the movie? Given the timeline of the movie---Richard Vernon would be at about retirement age, did he really last 20 more years in the education field? I think most likely not---I'm guessing he is selling life insurance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on Blogwise