Discontented Turtle

Sleep deprived ramblings about life, current events, politics, travel, education, books, movies, and music.

Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Before Sunset

I loved Before Sunrise, in fact the movie helped to inspire my own trip to Europe during the summer of 1995. Unfortunately for me---I never ended up with Celine, Julie Delpy, or any other French women for that matter. I did fall in love half a dozen or so times on that trip---but none of the women ever knew my feelings. But that is not the point of this entry. Even though I never met my own "Celine", the trip did inspire a love of international travel.

The news of a sequel completely caught me off guard. I was intriqued and scared at the same time. Could a sequel possibly ruin the original movie and its very ambiguous conclusion? Yet as soon as I heard there was a sequel I wanted to see it.

The sequel did not disappoint in the least. The two characters have grown older, wiser, and more cynical. Maybe that is why I identify with both these movies so well---my life tracks along with theirs.

Much like the first movie, Before Sunset is one long conversation last approximately 80 minutes. Instead of taking place in Vienna it takes place in Paris. And much like the first movie it ends very ambiguously. Did they or didn't they? That is the question. I myself don't know, I could see it both ways. This might have to be a movie that I see a second time before I can truly discuss it anymore. Needless to say....this is a fantastic movie. If you haven't seen Before Sunrise go rent it, and then go see Before Sunset.

One interesting thing about seeing this movie....I was expecting an audience in their mid 20's to mid 30's...and there was that crowd. But there was also a sizable audience of late 50's-to late 60's females.....very interesting!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on Blogwise