Discontented Turtle

Sleep deprived ramblings about life, current events, politics, travel, education, books, movies, and music.

Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind

Well the wife is out of town for the next week because of work, so I thought this would be a fantastic time to try my movie everyday for a week. Well Tuesday night is 50 cent night at the Bargain theatre, so I started my week out with two movies.

1. Man on Fire with Denzel Washington. I did enjoy this movie---it had a very interesting visual quality for an action movie. Even the subtitles were done in a unique way (changing text sizes, fading of subtitles, varied placement of subtitles). But basically this was a blood fest of a movie. Denzel plays one pissed off bodyguard---at one point he even detonates plastic explosives that he had rammed up the ass of one of the bad guys. Not a pretty sight (visually or mentally)!

2. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind- I had wanted to see this movie ever since it came out, but I kept putting it off because I wasn't ever sure if I was in the right mood to see it. Wow! What a movie! The whole time through the movie I am thinking and processing the movie. I kept thinking about what if? I kept thinking about wanting to talk with one of my old psychology professors about the psychological implications of this movie? Are memories and personality one in the same? If we lose one do we lose the other? That is the bad thing about going to the movies alone.....occasionally there are those movies that need to be discussed afterward. This is one of those movies. A big thumbs up. Has Charlie Kaufman been involved with a crappy movie yet? This really was a fantastic role for Jim Carrey---though there are comedic moments he never gets carried away. I really had forgotten it was Jim Carrey for most of the movie---he was just some guy trying to get over being dumped.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on Blogwise