Discontented Turtle

Sleep deprived ramblings about life, current events, politics, travel, education, books, movies, and music.

Thursday, June 10, 2004

Vice President Cheney's Eulogy for President Ronald W. Reagan

I am not a big fan of Vice President Cheney. I don't trust him and I don't care for his politics, but I must say that his eulogy last night at the Capitol funeral ceremony was fantastic.

It's weird that I say fantastic, because I was not a fan of President Reagan either. But Cheney's eulogy was a sweet and touching speech about Reagan the person instead of Reagan the icon, or Reagan the politician, or Reagan the president.

These are two of the parts that I liked from his eulogy:
When you mourn a man of 93, no one is left who remembers him as a child in his mother's arms. Ronald Wilson Reagan's life began in a time and place so different from our own, in a quiet town on the prairie, on the 6th of February, 1911. Nelle and Jack Reagan would live long enough to see the kind of man they had raised, but they could never know all that destiny had in store for the boy they called Dutch. And if they could witness this scene in 2004, their son taken to his rest with the full honors of the United States, they would be so proud of all he had done with the life they gave him, and the things they taught him.

Just the image of Reagan as a baby in his mother's arm makes me think of him in a different light. No matter how much you may dislike a person they were always someone's little baby.
Nancy, none of us can take away the sadness you are feeling. I hope it is a comfort to know how much he means to us, and how much you mean to us as well. We honor your grace, your own courage, and above all, the great love that you gave to your husband.

It's very weird for me to think about something that Dick Cheney did as sweet and touching....but the man did it so I felt I must give him his props.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on Blogwise