Discontented Turtle

Sleep deprived ramblings about life, current events, politics, travel, education, books, movies, and music.

Friday, February 11, 2005

One Car or Two Cars?

My wife and I have been having this semi-major discussion off and on for the last couple of weeks about whether or not to purchase a second car.

When we lived in Washington, DC we didn't own a car for our last couple of years there. It just wasn't needed. Public transportation was readily available (and frequently less of a hassle). Well when we moved to Columbus we quickly realized that we couldn't survive on just public transportation, so we purchased the little black beast (a 1994 Nissan Altima). We were now a one car family, which was fine because Margaret worked close enough that she could ride her bike or take the bus; and I was only working part-time so I could drop her off at work or skip having the car for the day.

Well now I've got a full-time job (that occasionally requires a car), and Margaret is getting the short end of a stick. The short end of the stick being waiting for a bus when it is 15 degrees out, walking in the dark, and being stuck at work during her lunch break.

So of course she wants us to get a second car. I'm saddened that we could go from being a no car to a two car family in the space of less than two years. I'm pissed that public transportation sucks in Columbus (and America in general). Would I be begging for a second car if I was the one on the short end of the stick? I hope I wouldn't but I probably would. I know this is all very hypocritical of me.

Will resolve this dilemma anytime soon? Doubtful, I just hope spring comes early and she will get excited about riding her bike to work again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on Blogwise