Discontented Turtle

Sleep deprived ramblings about life, current events, politics, travel, education, books, movies, and music.

Saturday, June 12, 2004

The Real Work Begins

The summer reading program began today at the library I am working at this summer. I haven't mentioned this before, but I do have a Master's degree in Psychology. I have not made much use of this degree, but I say that as proof that I am a person of reasonable intelligence. I spent over an hour today sharpening pencils. Excellent use of my time.

I'm still enjoying the job, but I hope I don't have many pencil sharpening days in front of me. I really shouldn't have been sharpening pencils all day, but the library got bombarded with people signing up for the Adult reading program, as well as the children's program. Last year for the whole summer 77 adults signed up, today between 9 and 6 am we had close to 150 adults sign up. Needless to say we weren't prepared for that level of success.

Other than pencil sharpening, I spent my day setting up displays of books. I must have done a good job with the displays because I was having to constantly replenish the book displays.

I also helped a number of kids who were looking for specific topics or books---they let me deal with the easy searches, but the more complex searches are supposed to be handed over to a reference librarian. I have no problem with not stepping on their toes, but I do enjoy trying to find books for kids.

This is a partial list of the topics that I helped search for books about today:
Bigfoot
Sponge Bob Square Pants
R.L. Stine's Seniors
Star Wars: Clone Wars
Skateboarding
Alice in Wonderland
Pokemon Cards

What will Monday bring? I will try to give you a regular update about notable searches.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on Blogwise